The Social Justice Committee of the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Castine is committed to the Seven Principles of the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations, specifically
Justice, equity, and compassion in human relations.
The goal of a world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all.
Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
To help achieve these ends, we participate and support community events such as the annual CROP walk, aiding relief efforts in Haiti, the Philippines, and elsewhere. Furthermore, the Social Justice Committee is responsible for soliciting and evaluating applications for the Deborah Pulliam Grants, a series of grants made in order to perpetuate the memory and promote the values of the late Deborah Pulliam, a longtime member and generous benefactor of the congregation and several other organizations in Castine and beyond. To learn more about the Pulliam Grants go to the application box on the right.
2017 Deborah Pulliam Social Justice Grants Announced
- Maine Unitarian Universalist Social Action Network (Augusta)
- Families First Community Center (Ellsworth)
- Food AND Medicine Brewer)
- Maine Prisoner Advocacy (Augusta)
- Open Door Clinic (Ellsworth)
- Peninsula Free Health Clinic (Blue Hill)
- Hancock Jail Visitor Volunteers (Blue Hill)
- Community Compass (Blue Hill)
Information on eligibility and application forms for the 2018 Pulliam Grants may be found early next year at this website.
2016 Deborah Pulliam Social Justice Grants Announced
The 2016 Pulliam Social Justice Grants went to:
- Peninsula Free Medical Clinic: $3,825
- Maine Unitarian Universalist State Advocacy Network: $5,000
- Sunlight Media Collective: $3,000
- Mid-Maine Youth Service Program: $5,000
- Volunteers for Hancock Jail Residents: $4,675
- Maine Prisoner Advocacy Coalition: $5,000
- Community Compass: $3,500
2015 Deborah Pulliam Social Justice Grants Announced
The 2015 Pulliam Social Justice Grants went to:
- Blue Hill Peninsula Resource Collaborative: $3,760
- Peninsula Free Medical Clinic: $3,760
- Reversing Falls Sanctuary: $1,200
- Volunteers for Hancock Jail Residents: $3,760
- Restorative Justice Project: $3,760
- Peace and Justice Center of Eastern Maine: $3,760